I have a lot of makeup. There’s no way to sugar coat it. I own lots of makeup. I don’t have the Ikea Alex drawers full of beauty products like most beauty influencers, but I have some table top office drawers packed full of stuff. So I don’t have a makeup bag at this point. It’s a makeup collection. Maybe in the future I’ll do a dedicated post to it, but I feel like a hoarder so let me get over my shame first.
I, like many other beauty lovers, get sucked into the products that I see on Youtube and Instagram. And clearly, this has caused me to over spend and over buy. For example: In high school I got suckered into spending $53 the Naked 3 palette. It seemed like a great deal when you broke down the price of each individual shadows. Plus, all my favorites were doing tutorials on it, so I knew how to use it. The problem was that it was an all rose gold eyeshadow palette and I never wear pink. Ever! I only like pink blush on myself but that’s about it. So as you can imagine, I didn’t reach for it a ton after the initial rush of a new product wore off. Now my sister has that palette in her makeup drawer because rose gold is her favorite color and I refuse to part with it.
But refusing to part with products like that only accumulates more clutter. So I like to, once in a while, do a nice decluttering of my collection and part with anything I don’t use by giving it to people I know if it’s only lightly used and throw out expired makeup. But will all that said and done, I still have a lot of makeup!
So recently, I stumbled upon Cruelty Free Beauty Guru Kelly Gooch’s channel on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtaVEzJD90lyxwumMzwOQzQ & I was introduced to the fascinating and satisfying world of Project Panning. It’s a project, or challenge, to finish up or make significant progress on certain makeup products you own to use them up, get your money’s worth, then get the finished product out of your collection. So, after about a week of binge watching her project pan videos, I decided that I wanted to start my own projects.
Because I’m a stressed out collage student student (and kind of a moron), I kept pushing off taking the photos of all the products in this project before I started the pan. So sorry about that! But I have markings on some of the products on where they started and I’ve included my first update (from Oct 8) in this post with pictures.
Fall 2018 Project Pan: September 15 to November 30th
- Urban Decay All Nighter Waterproof Concealer in Light Warm
• I decided to include this concealer because, even though it’s practically done, I can still scrape some product out of this to completely use it up before tossing it. It’s a nice concealer. I like the coverage and the product but it oxidizes so sometimes I have to mix it with a lighter concealer. I probably will end up repurchasing this after this pan is over, but for now lets see how far I can stretch this.
Tip: Buy a shade lighter of this product to it oxidizes into your perfect shade.
- Jeffree Star Cosmetics Liquid Lipstick in Unicorn Blood (dark rusty matte red)
• I absolutly LOVE this lipstick! The color is perfection and universally flattering. It’s one of my favorites and I don’t have very much of it left. I’ve had it since 2016, and am itching to buy a fresh bottle, especially since Jeffree just came out with the matching lipliner! But I should use up the bit I have left before then since it doesn’t smell expired or anything. And I decided to include this since its the PERFECT Fall Lip Color. 🍂
- Jeffree Star Cosmetics Liquid Lipstick in Posh Spice (greige taupe)
• This is my favorite nude lipstick. I don’t wear or like pinky nudes on myself and I love cool tone colors so this is just perfect for me. I love it so much, I already have a new bottle of this in my Lip Product drawer back in the summer when JSC was having a sale. But I want to finish the little bit I have left in this tube before cracking into a fresh one and eventually getting the new matching lipliner.
- Manny MUAxMakeup Geek Collaboration Eyeshadow Palette (from 2016)
• *Sigh* I don’t want to highlight negativity and drama but I have to be honest, i’m not really a fan of Manny anymore. Given all the recent drama and controversy, I inevitably saw surrounding him, he’s not really a person i want to support, at least not right now. So my first gut reaction to everything was to throw this palette in the garbage. But I love Makeup Geek Shadows. They are really great quality at a good price and even though this palette is two years old, the colors are still nicely pigmented, blend nicely and don’t smell funky or disturb my eyes in any way. So instead, I’m going to try to use it to get it out of my collection, instead of throwing my money away. It’s also a perfect palette for fall and I’m feeling festive and cozy this year.
• But I got to be honest about some of the individual shadows, even though overall they are good quality. I love the tone of “Mars” but it’s a bit dry and scratchy. Like the sand on planet Mars oddly enough. You have to work with it a bit so it’s not patchy. Mind you this palette is over 2 years old and red shades are hard to make. But if you’re looking for a creamy red, this is not it. The dark brown isn’t as sandy but could still be a bit creamier. The shimmery shades (except Cosmopolitan) and the foiled shadows swatch a bit chunky but are nicer on the eye, especially using a setting spray with it. The rest of the mattes, I have no complaints about them. They have nice texture, pigment and blend to them.
• Part of the reason I don’t reach for this palette often is because I have a very oily crease. No matter how much primer, matte powder or setting spray I apply, shadows will break up, disappear and crease in my socket line because oil collects there like a little folded pool. So that’s why I also want to include this, to figure out creative ways to use eyeshadows that work with my oiliness.
• I know I won’t be able to pan the whole palette but I hope at least 2 or 3 of the matte shades and just get use out of the rest of them.
- Precisely, My Brow Pencil from Benefit Cosmetics in shade 6 (cool soft black)
• I have been using this brow pencil for about two years at this point because I love dark eyebrows on myself. I never use brown because I don’t want my brows to look really brown but using a straight up sharpie black on my eyebrows doesn’t look good either. So this is an awesome in between for me. I also love it for when I don’t have much time because I can do my brows in just a couple minutes. So I have very very little left. To the point that I can no longer twist it up. But I still want to use it up completely to get my money’s worth and not waste any of it, since its $24. I know. It’s steep for a brow pencil. But I love that the pencil is easier to hold then the really thin Anastasia Brow Wiz and it’s waterproof because humidity in Puerto Rico is a b…
- Mini Too Faced HangoverX Face Primer
• I really do love this primer. I’m not the biggest fan of Too Faced, but after I recived a sample of this primer in my ipsy bag, I couldn’t put it down. I use this all over my face, after my daily SPF & moisturizer but before I apply mattifying primer on my T zone. I feel like it balances my face so I get less oily and does help the wear of my makeup. I have already gone thru an entire full size tube of this and got this mini size for when I had to do my makeup at my grandparent’s house. So I want to use this up while I save up to buy a new full size.
- Mini Tarte Amazonian Clay Blush in Feisty
• Ever since I got this blush in an ipsy bag I have used it a ton. I really like the formula, the pigment, the longevity, the blendebility. I really recommend the Taste Amazonian Clay Blushes. Realistically, I know I won’t hit pan on this blush, but I want to focus on using it because it’s the perfect color for this time of year and see how far I can get on this product by the end of November. Hopefully I’ll just be able to smooth down the embossing design on the top.
2018 Project Pan: September 15 to December 31st
- Kat Von D Mi Vida Loca Remix Eyeshadow Palette (from Holiday a few years back)
• This is a nice palette. It’s colorful and vibrant. Some of the shadows can be a little patchy but I think they blend pretty good. Mind you, this palette is from 2015. I find KVD shadows to be a powdery. They could be creamier but they are workable. Usually, I really like them and they have really pretty shades. I don’t plan on panning the entire palette, but just get use out of it, pan the black shade as much as I can and hopefully one or new more of the neutrals as well.
- Kat Von D Shade + Light Contour Palette (with the old packaging from 2015)
• I remember going to buy this palette at the biggest mall in the Caribbean, and the only one with a Sephora, the day I went to university to do my registration for 1 year. Time Flies. I’m surprised I even still have and use this. But I do because this palette is awesome. Wears great and blends like a dream. The tones are just right for my skin tone (but not for absolutely every skin tone.) I have already hit pan on the yellow and pink highlight shades but I also want to pan the light and medium toned contour shade and see if I can use this up enough to buy the new magnetic version of this with refillable pans for the new year.
- Urban Decay All Nighter Waterproof Pressed Powder
• I saw that this powder came out I was super intrigued. A WATERPROOF powder?! SIGN ME UP! It’s matte, fine and not heavy. I bought it on a whim in Sephora and I hasn’t disappointed me. I either use it both a brush or damp beauty blender. With the BB, the color picks up more on this powder that claims to be translucent, so if you have a lighter or darker skin tone, use a brush.
• I know panning a powder is difficult, but I think I can do it. I have never tried to use an entire powder before, so I’m excited to see how I’ll do. I have already made a small pan in this and it’s only getting bigger from here.
- Becca x Jaclyn Hill Champagne Glow Palette (Champagne Pop & Pearl)
• “Champagne Pop” revolutionized modern highlighting two years ago when it came out. I, like many other Jaclyn Hill fans at the time, bought the highlighter and various pieces of the entire champagne campaign when they were released. I think this was for holiday in 2016, or around that time. Pearl and Blushed Copper were already Becca Shades and they added them into this highlight palette with Champagne pop. I never use Blushed Copper on myself because it’s way too dark, but I have on clients. I usually just mix Champagne Pop (soft white gold w/ pinky peach undertones) & Pearl (soft luminescent white) together for a lighter more icy look, I got from https://twitter.com/JadeTheLibra
But for some reason, even though I think the highlighters are pretty, I never reach for them. This just sits in my collection because I’m so focused on other products, when I highlight because I don’t always do. I guess I just don’t find them as exciting as I did when I bought the product. So I wanted to make a point to use them this year and hopefully hit even if it’s just a tiny pan on at least one of them. But my goal is to just use it.
- Urban Decay Naked Skin Complexion Perfecter with SPF in Shade Light Medium
• If i’m being honest, I want to love this product more then I do. I don’t feel like my skin is particularly sensitive, but I get clogged pores and break outs very easily. So I guess it’s just sensitive in that aspect or just easily aggravated. Also, foundations tend to break up on my chin and this one does easily. Also the neutral to more pink undertone of this product is kind of off more my skin tone and its a bit dark for me. “Light” would fit me better but the time I realized it, it was too late to return or exchange it.
• So I would like to find a way to use this product up, since it was more on the pricier side, and maybe one day when my skin is less prone to clogging, try the light shade and see if it works out better for me because I like the idea of this product. I have been mixing it with my regular foundation, which I talk about below, and it helps.
** I have a faded bruise on my arm because apparently my doorknob hates me. So that’s why the swatch looks a bit sickly.
- Laura Mercier Flawless Fusion Foundation in shade 2W1 Macadamia – light with warm undertones
• I. LOVE. THIS. FOUNDATION. My skin hates me and EVERYTHING clogs my pores. So this is the only foundation I have found, thanks to Tati aka Glam Life Guru https://bit.ly/2Ny4x9S that doesn’t aggravate my skin as much. It also doesn’t break up on my nose and chin as easily as other products do. It has really nice coverage. You can build it up to a fuller coverage or sheer it down for a more natural look. It kept keep me matte longer than any other foundation I’ve tried. I can even mix it with my Hangover X primer, my Simple hydrating booster drops or the UD Naked Skin Complexion perfecter if I want a more sheer and natural finish. It comes with a pump (that sometimes gets clogged) and 1oz of product, which is very standard for a foundation. It can be applied with a beauty blender sponge or brush. The cons on this foundation is that it’s $48. Ouch, I know. I blame my pores for hoarding so much crap. Also, this is good or bad depending on your preference, a very small amount is pumped out at a time. You gotta pump 4 to 5 times what you get in two pumps from other products. But overall it’s a great foundation and I recommend it for normal, combination and oily skin types.
• So I decided to include this in my 2018 project pan, mostly because I am really curious to see if I can finish it by the new year. Also, the color is a tad light for me because the shade down is a bit too dark and golden. I have a weird skin tone in the sense that I have more yellow in my skin and a bit of pink. That would traditionally make me more neutral. But neutral complexion product never look right on me. They always come across too dark. So the yellow toned ones look better. Also my actual skin tone ranges between light to light medium, even though light medium can look a bit too dark. But look at me as a whole (including arms, neck, face) and I come across as more light medium. I also favor cooler colors and metals (like black, silver and gun metal) and they flatter me best. So you’d think I’d be more cool toned then I actually am. I dunno. It’s a mess.
My point is that about a month or two after I got this shade, Laura Mercier released an in between shade (2W1.5 Bisque – light w/ warm undertones ) which would probably fit me a little better, according to the Sephora color ID. So after I run out of this foundation, I’ll test it out to see if it’s true. So my goal is to finish this foundation up, but realistically it’s more to see if I can. I’m gonna be spending Christmas in the snow this year for the first time since 2005 so let’s see how it will hold up when my skin gets drier.
- Products I want to compleatly finish:
• UD All Nighter Concealer
• JSC Unicorn Blood Liquid Lipstick
• JSC Posh Spice Liquid Lipstick
• Benefit Brow Pencil
• Too Faced HangoverX Primer
• UD All Nighter Powder
• UD Naked Skin Complexion Perfecter
• Laura Mercier Flawless Fusion Foundation
- Products I want to hit pan on and significantly use up:
• Manny MUA X Makeup Geek Palette
• Neutrals of KVD Mi Vida Loca Palette
• KVD Shade + Light Palette
- Products I just want to get use out of
• Champagne Pop & Pearl from Becca Champagne Glow Palette
• Amazonian Clay Blush in Feisty
• Colorful eyeshadows in KVD Mi Vida Loca Palette
1st Update • October 5th
I. Fall Project Pan
🍂 Benefit Precisely My Brow Pencil
I have done very very well with this product, to the point that the product actually fell out onto my vanity and I put it back in the packaging because I’m determined to finish it. So I should be done with this by my next update.
🍂 Too Faced HangoverX Primer
I’m doing better then I expect with this product. I’m about halfway done. I love this stuff. I use it all over my face every time I do my makeup. I think I’ll finish it by early November. Very happy with my progress on this product so far and am excited to finish it and buy the full size.
🍂 Urban Decay All Nighter Waterproof Concealer in Light Warm
I think I’m doing good on this. I took the stopper off the bottle to be able to scrape the sides of the tube. I think that this has made the product dry up a little bit, which is a con is that this product oxidizes (gets darker). So to counteract this, I mix it with my Catrice waterproof concealer and it helps it blend better. I am confident that I will finish this before the pan is over.
🍂 JSC “Unicorn Blood” & “Posh Spice” Liquid Lipsticks
I have been using these lipsticks but not as much as I should be. I have been struggling with terribly painful dry, chapped lips so I haven’t been using liquid lipstick very much. And when I have been, I have been reaching for my JSC black liquid lip in “Weirdo” just because that’s what I been feeling at the moment. The cool thing about this brand is that all the liquid lipsticks are eye safe, so I’m gonna play around with them on the eyes on the days what my lips just can’t handle anything but a heavy duty lip balm. I think if I’m more creative with using them I will finish them before the pan is over. I have hope.
🍂 Manny MUAxMakeup Geek Palette
When I first started this pan, I was being pretty good about reaching for this palette. The problem is when I’m in a hurry or rushed to get my everyday makeup look done, to get out the door, I don’t reach for it because its an extra step. And in collage, you don’t always have much time. I have been making a point to at least use ‘Beaches and Cream’ in my crease and ‘Frappe’ and “Sora,” if I have extra time. I love the red color of “Mars” and yesterday I put it in my inner corner for a quick pop of color that matches the “Switchblade” Jay White shirt I always wear because, in my head, I have nothing else in my closet. It looked a bit strange at first but with my dark, punk, gothy aesthetic, I think it works. I still hope to hit pan on at least “Beaches & Cream” and “Mars” by the end of the pan and at least a good dent in Frappe, but I got to put more effort in using this palette.
🍂 Amazonian Clay Blush in Feisty
This is pretty much the only blush I have used since I started this plan. Only about 2 times have I done my makeup in recent weeks and used something else. The embossing on the actual products is still raised on the sides but the “Tarte” imprint is almost gone. You can only tell from an angle that it’s still a little bit there. I am hoping to smooth it down by the end of this project but it’s gonna take a lot of work.
II. 2018 Project Pan
🖤 Kat Von D Mi Vida Loca Palette
Every time I need to set my black eyeshadow, I have been reaching for this palette. So I’m doing good on working on that shade, which I have already hit pan on. I have been using the neutral, midtoned brown shades in my crease when I decide to wear eyeshadow and don’t feel like reaching for the Manny Palette. I have been trying to use “Skulls” in my inner corner, when I remember. The good thing is that I am taking a theater makeup class as an elective this semester, so I have been using this palette for that class and getting use out of it. I even dipped into the yellow/golden shades for the first time when doing a “Cat Makeup” look a few weeks ago.
🖤 Kat Von D Shade + Light Contour Palette
I still haven’t fixed the darkest contour shade from the time it fell out in makeup class a couple weeks back, but that hasn’t stopped me from using it. But between that dark shade breaking and the fact that I need this palette, not only for my class, but for film production makeup jobs I have upcoming (I do a little freelance makeup on the side.) I am honestly tempted to just buy a new one because I know the newer packing is a lot sturdier then the one I have and I need a palette I can transport. I’m gonna repress the broken contour and see if I can save it. So only time will tell if this palette survives until the end of the year. But for now, it’s still here and still kicking.
As you can see, I have hit pan on the lightest contour shade (Sombre ), the pale pinky toned matte highlight shade (Lucid) & the Yellow banana highlight shade (Lyric). I have a made a little dent in the mid-toned contour shade (Shadowplay) and clearly the darkest contour (Subconscious) needs serious help, aka rubbing alcohol. So you can see which are the shades I use most.
🖤 Urban Decay All Nighter Waterproof Powder
Ok, I am honestly shocked of how much of this powder I have already used. It feels like every time I use it, the pan gets bigger. I figure that it has to do with the fact that I use this is a damp beauty blender to set my makeup and I pick up a lot of product because oily skin and 100 degree weather and humidity require a lot of powder. But still! I thought this would be harder to go through. Looks like I am going to completely use this up by the end of the year, maybe by November at this rate. Very proud of this update.
🖤 Becca x Jaclyn Hill Champagne Glow Palette (Champagne Pop & Pearl)
I have NOT done a good job of reaching for this. I admit that. Honestly, I don’t really want to reach for it because I have other products I like better. I’m trying to make a point to use it but I don’t always highlight. I know, I know. It’s very odd to find a beauty lover that’s not that into highlighting. But I just gotta take my fan brush and go to town. At least there is already a noticeable dent is both shades I’m trying to work on.
🖤 Urban Decay Naked Skin Complexion Perfecter with SPF in Shade Light Medium
I’ve been trying to use this but I haven’t done too well. Mainly because my face hates me at the moment and I don’t want to break out even more. We shall see if I continue to use this in the next couple weeks. I hope I do but I got to put some effort into it.
🖤 Laura Mercier Flawless Fusion Foundation
I use this every time I do a proper full face of makeup. I think I’m doing really good on this product. There was about a week that the pump wasn’t working so I had to scoop the product out. But I was able to fix it and use it normally. I am very confident I will finish it by the end of the year if I keep using it consistently. I still think I could have done better and used more product, but there’s still time.
So to round up, I made some great progress here. It’s been really fun and almost therapeutic working on the products I already have then being so laser focused on what I want to buy. My bank account also thanks me. I have to be more diligent about using all the palettes and the complexion perfecter but I think for my first update, I’m doing pretty good. I’ll be back here again in about 2 weeks for my second update.
May your eyeliner always be sharp and smokey.
🖤☪️🕸 PJ CAGE
WHERE TO BUY???
***DISCLAIMER NONE OF THIS IS SPONSORED. THESE ARE NOT AFFILIATE LINKS. I am literally no one to these brands. LOL But if you’re interested in anything I mentioned, here are some links on where to buy. Also, most of these links were shortened using https://bitly.com a free website used to shorten long links for posts, social media and sharing. (Perfect for tweets and IG posts) NOT SPONSORED. NOT AN AFFILIATE! They are completely safe and will take you to the site they are suppose to. I worked really hard on this part so please enjoy.***
🍂 Benefit Precisely My Brow Pencil:
• Comes in 8 shades
Full Size: $24
Benefit Cosmetics’ website: https://bit.ly/29Otp9C
🍂 Urban Decay All Nighter Waterproof Concealer in Light Warm $29
• Available in 14 shades
Urban Decay Cosmetics’ website: https://bit.ly/2IPbp1T
🍂 JSC “Unicorn Blood” & “Posh Spice” Liquid Lipsticks
Posh Spice: $18
Jeffree Star Cosmetics Website: https://jeffreestarcosmetics.com/collections/velour-liquid-lipstick/products/posh-spice
Beauty Bay: https://bit.ly/2zYXAe9
Unicorn Blood: $18
Jeffree Star Cosmetics Website: https://jeffreestarcosmetics.com/collections/velour-liquid-lipstick/products/unicorn-blood
Beauty Bay: https://bit.ly/2zZvlfk
🍂 Manny MUAxMakeup Geek Palette
• This palette is no Longer available but the shades can be bought individually in magnetic pans. https://bit.ly/2vwHngj
Luna: $10 https://www.makeupgeek.com/products/foiled-eyeshadow-pan-luna
Beaches and Cream: ***DISCONTINUED*** Just found this out and am sad about it… I’m honestly SHOCKED about this, since it was such a staple color for Makeup Geek.
Dupes for ‘Beaches and Cream:’ https://bit.ly/2PnV7iL
Artemis: $6 *Sold Out as of oct/8/2018* https://www.makeupgeek.com/products/eyeshadow-pan-artemis
Frappe: $6 https://www.makeupgeek.com/products/eyeshadow-pan-frappe
Sora: $6 https://www.makeupgeek.com/products/eyeshadow-pan-sora
Cosmopolitan: $6 https://www.makeupgeek.com/products/eyeshadow-pan-cosmopolitan
Aphrodite: $6 https://www.makeupgeek.com/products/eyeshadow-pan-aphrodite
Mars: **NOT FOUND**
Dupes for ‘Mars:’ https://bit.ly/2zZIRjj
Insomnia: $10 *Sold Out as of oct/8/2018* https://www.makeupgeek.com/products/eyeshadow-pan-insomnia
*Makeup Geek also has the offer to build your own 9 pan palette in the same packaging as the Manny Palette: https://www.makeupgeek.com/products/create-your-own-palette #notsponsored
🍂 Amazonian Clay Blush in Feisty: $29
*Looks like it was discontinued…
Ulta: **NOT FOUND**
Sephora: **NOT FOUND**
Tarte Cosmetics’ website: **NOT FOUND**
Ipsy: **Must log in or sign up** https://bit.ly/2Pnjnlc
🖤 Kat Von D Mi Vida Loca Palette (Limited Edition)
• Not available for sale anymore
🖤 Kat Von D Shade + Light Contour Palette:
🖤 Becca x Jaclyn Hill Champagne Glow Palette (Champagne Pop & Pearl)
**Palette not available anymore**
• Mini Size “Champagne Pop” Pressed* $19
Becca Cosmetics’ website: https://bit.ly/2Nwpy4G
Mini Holiday Ornament • Sephora: (Sold out) https://seph.me/2OK0WKs
Mini Holiday Ornament • Becca Cosmetics’ website: https://bit.ly/2CwbJ5a
“Champagne on the Go” set (mini liquid and pressed) • Becca Cosmetics’ website: https://bit.ly/2QCS0Up
* Also available in liquid and creme poured formulations.
🖤 Urban Decay Naked Skin Complexion Perfecter with SPF 20 – $36
• Available in 6 shades
Urban Decay Cosmetics’ website: https://bit.ly/2yp4K9L